Wednesday, January 7, 2009

S-Corp

Today I met with my corporate lawyer, Darci Poloni at Poloni and Associates.

I have hired Darci to file my S-Corp paper work for me. With this service comes trade mark licensing, State ID registration, S-Corp submission and paper work, but most importantly Darci has sat with me and walked me through every step.

Darci explained the Bi-Laws and what is expected of me legally each year. She even gave me this wonderful leather book organizer to place all my corporate papers. She explained that I need to have a meeting with my share holders each year and what needs to take place in this meeting. She explained the rights I have compared to the rights that my share holder has. I actually think I'm starting to understand this business stuff.

Now onto the next steps. Once the papers that were submitted today are processed, I'm a C-Corp. A C-corp is not appropiate for what I do because I'll be taxed twice. So I will need to send back some paper work that my other share holder signs and Darci will be submitting that all for a Tax ID number. Once the tax ID number goes through than I will be considered an S-Corp and I can apply for the business licensing. Once that is complete I start the banking process and become complete and legitimately separate than my company.

In a few hours I will also be meeting with my insurance agent and all my corporate insurance will be submitted. This includes corporate insurance for my equipment as well as liability so if anyone hurts themselves on location or during an event with me than that person can't sue me personally. I've have been waiting to have this for over a year now, but needed to wait due process.

This is all very exciting. Its only been about 6 years since I first worked under Nicky Watts Studios. Its like a dream come true to have it becoming a full blown business. There's still a lot of work to do, but its in the right direction. I just can't wait until I can focus most of my time on making and creating rather than all this paper work business.

You can find Darci at:

Poloni & Associates
780 Coronado Center Dr, Suite 110 J
Henderson, NV 89052
702-616-9240

I hope she can help you as much as she helped me.

No comments: