Thursday, October 16, 2008

Recycled Paper Sculpture #2!

Oh yes. Here it is.

For those of you who don't know, I have been working on these recycled paper sculptures for a while now. I made my first one when I was still living in Chicago. It took about two weeks for the paper to dry. Here in Vegas, in the dead heat of summer, it took about 24 hours.

The original sculpture was of a sewing mannequin that I had built a pregnant belly on. I was going to deal with my sisters pregnancy through this. Tarcy (my sister) had giving birth by the time I graduated and was able to put my time into the project.

I kept the idea of recycled paper sculptures in my head. Then a client of mine wanted really creative portraits: walla...time for the recycled paper sculpture... He turned down the idea, but my mind wouldn't let it go.

I have also been taking 8x10 negatives of these shoots, and have developed them. I got acceptable images from each shoot, with lots and lots of room for improvement. It seems my camera has a light leak, so I need to figure out exactly where. Its a new camera for me. I'm actually borrowing for a very long time and am hoping that I'm not asked for it back until I can afford to get my own. Its like my baby, I love it.

Here are the pics.

 Paper Sculptures Series #2 Grid w/ Priscilla Photo shopped

 Paper Sculptures Series #2 w/ Priscilla Photo shopped

 Paper Sculptures Series #2 w/ Priscilla Photo shopped

 Paper Sculptures Series #2 w/ Priscilla Photo shopped

and the credits:

Photographer: Nicky Watts
Location: Nicky Watts Studios, Las Vegas
Model: Priscilla Gallegos
Make Up Artist: Samantha Henrikson
Hair Stylist: Valarie Zwahlen
Recycled Paper Sculpture: custom $2500: Nicky Watts
Wardrobe: Priscilla Gallegos
Assistant: Morgan Zwahlen

I just want to announce, that I have an incredible team working with me on this. They are just so cool.

I almost forgot to mention; while we were preparing for the shoot, Samantha and I decided to make hamburgers (She was very early so it was no big deal), and I'm always concerned that everyone ate well before hard work. At some point while the burgers were cooking, I forgot the spatula on the stove and walked away. There was a huge burnt section of the spatula followed by the fire alarms. Oh boy must I have the worst fire alarm on the face of the planet. Rich and I have no reason to worry that we would sleep through them, that's for sure. Luckily, Priscilla hadn't eaten either so it justified the awful noise that was erupting right as Valarie and Priscilla were settling in. The fire alarms went off twice, and Priscilla's first burger was barely cooked. What a riot! Its a good thing I'm a photographer and not a chef!

No comments: